Friday, May 28, 2010

Day Twelve

... You're not just a wave, you're part of the ocean ... -- Tuesdays With Morrie


There are neither Jews nor Greeks, slaves nor free people, males nor females. You are all the same in Christ Jesus. -- Galations 3:28


I am no longer in the world; and yet they themselves are in the world, and I come to You. Holy Father, keep them in Your name, the name which You have given Me, that they may be one even as We are.
 -- John 17:11


I love all of Mitch Albom's books. I have to admit that I saw Tuesday's With Morrie, the movie, before I read the book. Jack Lemmon was amazing as Morrie. I watched it really late one night, on a day when I needed it the most and felt such a connection.  The whole movie is amazing (watch it if you haven't seen it or go buy the book!), but I really love when Mitch asks Morrie to tell his girlfriend Janine the story about the "little wave."
You're not a wave, you're part of the ocean. 
I've been to two baseball games this week and this truth seems a little more evident at such a sporting event. So many people cheering towards the same thing. Likewise, in giving applause or a standing ovation at a play, musical. Experiencing a concert with others. 
I am reminded of seeing Gone With The Wind at the Alabama Theater one Summer. I'd seen the movie so many times I could quote it in its entirety. But something about experiencing it on a large screen and with so many people, it truly came alive. We all laughed at parts I didn't laugh at when watching it alone. Gasped when Scarlet appears in that famous red dress. 
There is this power in being part of something bigger than just ourselves, peace even. This connection we share through common experiences. Through being on this earth together. And you aren't just a little wave, you are part of the ocean. Here this today, You are never alone. 
Community, such a beautiful thing.





Summary for the movie in case you haven't seen it 




0 comments:

Post a Comment