Tuesday, May 25, 2010

Day Nine

God gave you a gift of 86,400 seconds today.  Have you used one to say "thank you?" -- William A. Ward

I know that the Lord will maintain the cause
of the afflicted, and the right of the poor.
Surely the righteous shall give thanks unto thy name:
the upright shall dwell in thy presence.


-- Ps. 140:12-13


Gratitude is the sign of noble souls. -- Aesop


I try to live my life in thankfulness. 
Gratitude. 
I used to sit with my field group at the end of our time together in the morning, when I taught at Nature's Classroom. Everyday I would ask them the same questions. I would get each one of them to tell me three things they were grateful for, three things they learned that day, and three things they liked about themselves. Learning didn't necessarily mean the educational things I taught them. It could also be things they learned about a classmate or themselves. They could always find something they were grateful for. The most difficult question for them to answer was the three things they liked about themselves. (The generation coming up definitely needs to be loved on in positive ways.)
At times my friends and I would do this when hanging out together. After moving home, if I was having a trying or down sort of day ... Even if I was just nervous about something, I would think -- If a 5th or 6th grader can answer these questions; I should walk a bit in what I have been teaching. So I would answer them for myself. I remember actually taking a notebook to a restaurant when my friend Stacy and I were having particularly stressful days. We wrote down our answers together. 
It's crazy how much we have to be thankful for. Circumstances might be horrible, but there is never a day I can't look around or inside myself and find things to be grateful for. It's interesting how often we look at our lives an event at a time. That next thing we might be looking forward to or even that thing we're not looking forward to blocking the stuff that a good in our lives. Sometimes, it takes someone outside of us, a different perspective to help us look at our lives a little differently.
A great friend of mine did that for me yesterday. It wasn't that I was down as much as I was look at my life as mundane. She said let me get this straight ... And then she listed off the things she had heard me say were happening or were on my list of options for the near future. It sounded exciting. Adventurous. Dreams be accomplished. Blessing being showered over my life. I rested in gratitude -- for her and for the amazing life I have. From the moment I wake up in the morning until I rest my head on the pillow at night (or in the wee hours of the next day) -- I get to risk, live and breathe deeply. God has been good to me. And I will be thankful all the days of my life.
So, today you have some questions to answer. 3 things you're grateful for, 3 things you learned today and 3 things you like about yourself (Yes, you have to answer that one). Elementary school students, jr. high school students they always come up with plenty to be thankful for -- let's see if we can follow their lead. 





0 comments:

Post a Comment