Saturday, May 22, 2010

Day Six

Secrets. When I was in recovery, I remember hearing this phrase a lot: "Secrets make us sick." I believe this about toxic, destructive and unhealthy secrets. Keeping them inside of us, makes them special in a weird way -- something to grasp on to, when what we really need to do is share or to let go.
It's funny how they lie to us too. Those secrets. They make us feel ashamed, guilty or alone. There is such beauty in sharing and realizing how often we aren't strange, damaged or alone. We find that there is connection, comfort and peace, when giving voice to these things we have been keeping inside.
Boundaries are something I learned to set and love as I became more and more healthy. I learned a lot about myself and how to do what I needed to do for me -- where to put those boundaries, as a result of several painful experiences. Privacy is something I'm relishing a lot recently, while remaining fairly open.
Honest and raw is the way we find beauty in one another, respecting our own stories and those of others, and finding with amazement that unveiling secrets can connect us in ways we have never before been able to see so clearly.

(At midnight, on Saturdays, PostSecret.com posts their Sunday secrets. Sometimes I stay up just to read them. Such lovely courage. Check it out.)



0 comments:

Post a Comment