Monday, May 24, 2010

Day Eight

But Christ has shown me that what I once thought was valuable is worthless. Nothing is as wonderful as knowing Christ Jesus my Lord. I have given up everything else and count it all as garbage. All I want is Christ. -- Phil. 3:7-8



Sacrifice, which is the passion of great souls, has never been the law of societies. -- Henri Frederic Amiel


I say, if your knees aren't green by the end of the day, you ought to seriously re-examine your life.   --- Bill Watterson, Calvin & Hobbes



I'm getting ready to give up a lot of things. Actually, I started today. It has been a long time in coming. I've been sick and on antibiotics for the last six months or so. My body is run down and it isn't very happy with me. Waking up sick everyday, is making me a bit irritable and down. So today I started a new diet -- not to lose wait but to get all of the garbage out of my body. No sugars, no caffeine, no wheat, etc. Lots of water and some herbs that get the yuck that the antibiotics did to me out of my body.
My fear, a bit, is the irritability and rebellion from my body when I take away all it's favorite things. Sugar and caffeine at the same time? I'd keep clear of me for a little bit. 
It's funny how when you give things up, you're body craves these things in great ways. And they're not even good for us. It's interesting how it happens when we take chances and do this in our spiritual lives - when we look inside. Sometimes we'd rather grab on to what is unhealthy for us than to let go and embrace the new ... the unfamiliar, even though it will free us up and bring great blessings. The sugars and caffeines of life being more comforting.
 What can you do that is healthy for yourself this week? That helps you celebrate yourself this week? Are there things you need to cut out or give up? A little less work, a little more grass stains and climbing trees? Are there people in your life that are more toxic than beneficial? Are you missing out on great and interesting paths because of fear? Are you holding on too tightly to the past because once before you let go and the cravings for the comfortable got too bad? 
How can we best support each other as we seek to let go? Let's hydrate one another with love! (Diet, uncaffeinated, and clear love)



0 comments:

Post a Comment