Thursday, June 17, 2010

Day Thirty-Two



Suddenly, out in the hall, I heard an infant scream, followed by a quick "shhh! presumably from its mother. The Reb heard it, too.
Now, that child, he said, reminds me of something our sages taught. When a baby comes into the world, its hands are clenched, right? Like this?
He made fist.
Why? Because a baby, not knowing any better, wants to grab everything, to say, The world is mine.
But when an old person dies, how does he do so? WIth his hands open. Why? Because he has learned the lesson.
What lesson? I asked.
He stretched open his empty fingers.
We can take nothing with us.


-- From Have a Little Faith, By Mitch Albom 
(By the way, this book is amazing. If you haven't read it, go to the library or to a book store. Get it!)


Today, I spent my day packing. Packing for next week, when I will be in Cape Cod learning amazing things from one of my favorite poets and an amazing group of women in a workshop I will be a part of.
Today, I learned to pack lightly.
A week's worth of clothing and such in a carry-on suitcase. It might not sound all that difficult, but I have always been an over-packer. Until today, when I practiced a lesson I loved. Simplicity.
A couple of years ago, I lived in a small house in Maine. I lived there with beautiful people. I lived in the woods, a short walk to the beach. The air was incredible. I felt 100 percent free to be myself. And I felt lovely, funny and creative.
It was one of the best times of my life.
And it was lived from a tiny room, with white-washed walls. A twin bed, some drawers and a few shelfs. My favorite room ever. I took two suitcases with me. For me, it was living simply. Simply living.
And it was amazing.
I used to give tours of that room to my friends. Imagine the possibilities.
Now I set out to go to another place I love. Still in New England. Cape Cod. And I am learning again to simplify. (I still over-packed.)
But it is a relief and refreshing.
For awhile now, though let's not hold our breaths that I will do this, I've wanted to just get rid of stuff. I like to keep things, but I've felt that I just have all this STUFF around me. Weighing me down.
When do you feel your most carefree? Your most light, relieved? What kind of things could you leave out of the suitcase you're carrying?
How could you life be more simple?
Sometimes less truly is more.
More love. More happy. More peace.

0 comments:

Post a Comment